Several users using the same checklist from a shared directory

Hello,

I would like to know if it is perfectly OK under any circumstances for several people to load/use/modify the same checklist from a shared directory.

For instance, let’s imagine that Translator A, B and C work together and they have a collaborative checklist all of them feed periodically with new checks.

Now let’s imagine that one of them (say, Translator A) made some updates on such checklist while all of them are simultaneously working with Xbench and have said checklist loaded from the same shared directory (stored in a networked drive, nas or the like).

Would such changes be kept under any circumstances or is there a potential risk of change loss/overwriting/deletion?

Or is it always safer to have all these translators load a local copy instead and edit only a separate checklist that nobody (or only one of them) can add to their Xbench?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Manuel

Hello Manuel. My team and I, we work with Xbench checklists in the way you have described. Our checklists are stored in a shared server and we use them concurrently with no problems. I am in charge nof managing them so I am the only one who edits them, so I am unsure about many people modifying checklists at the same time. It would probably be best to avoid that. Regards!

1 Like

Hello Claudia (and sorry for the belated answer),

Thank you for your confirmation. Good to know! In our case, it’s also essentially me who manages and updates checklists, so I guess there should not be any problem loading them from a shared server.

Thanks!

Manuel

1 Like

Please note that if your shared checklists contain inherited checklist, you should update to the last public available. Instead of saving the absolute path to the inherited checklist, Xbench points to a relative path.

If you have any colleague that has no access to the shared location, the most recommended way is to save all checklist at the same folder and send that folder to any colleague.

Oscar.

Exactly. One of our team members is located in a different country and we send her a folder containing all checklists every once in a while to keep her updated.

Hello Òscar,

I’m sorry, but think I did not fully understand your message.

Do you mean that if I add an inheritance to a XB project, the path to such inherited checklist will be stored as a relative path?

Last time a tried the Inheritance feature, XB used an absolute path, so inheritance didn’t work for sharing purposes, since every time a different user opened such XB project in a shared folder, they got an error message stating that said checklist could not be found (as it happens if you add that checklist as Project checklists).

Do you mean that this behavior has changed? Or perhaps was I doing something wrong?

Currently, what we do is to paste all relevant client/project-related checks (i.e.: NOT global for all translation projects) on <Project> checklist and store a backup copy on a related folder. This way, no user gets any error loading checklists, the problem being that if updates are frequent to such <Project> checks, backup is a bit clumsy process (involving copy-pasting and adding and removing checklists).

Does your message mean that Inheritance would be a more efficient way to manage shared checklists?

Kind regards,