ApSIC Xbench Forum

Encoding issue with key term files

Hello, I am using version 2.9 and my problem is in fact a system configuration issue rather than an xBench issue, but I hope you can help me.

When I create key term glossaries, which I do in notepad (working on a Windows 10 PC), my system force-saves them as UTF-8. I have tried everything I have thought of to make it save as ANSI, but if I close and reopen them they have always reverted to UTF-8. As a result, when I run QA, I get false errors that are in fact encoding errors.

So far, the only thing that I have found to work is to copy my glossary to Excel and then save as tab-delimited from Excel, but this is tedious and half the time I forget to do that, so I then have to go back and fix things and run my QA again. There has to be an easy fix, no?

Thank you in advance.

Iza

Perhaps you can save the glossary as ANSI using Notepad++.

1 Like

The easiest fix is probably to use Xbench 3.0, which is a Unicode application. :slight_smile:

Since Xbench 2.9 is a non-Unicode application you need to ensure that your system locale is the one of the non-English language you need to work with. I presume you have that in place but mention just in case.

If you have the right locale, probably using ANSI files will work, just ensure that you create these ANSI files with the right locale. Probably there are many text editors out there who honor the file current encoding. If you are using Notepad++, ensure that you do not have this setting enabled: https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus/issues/3889

1 Like