About case inconsistency

Dear Team,

Recently I did a QA on my bilingual file (en2cn) and found a problem. Xbench will not report a case inconsistency.

As you can see, “instgram” is in the source and “Instgram” is in the target.
Please suggest how can I adjust the setting to make it work. Thanks!

Here’s the QA settings.

When Case-sensitive inconsistencies is enabled, Xbench will report target inconsistencies where source is identical (including case), but segments have been translated in a different way including case.

When Case-sensitive Key Terms is enabled, Xbench will those terms in segments that match a key term (including case) in source text but have been translated in a different way than the translated key term (including case).

In this case, if you must have a key term such as the following one so that Xbench reports a key term mismatch:
source term: instagram
target term: instagram

If your key term is “Instagram” but the term in ongoing translation file is “instagram”, Xbench won’t report that segment as they don’t match case.

Thanks for your quick response.
My question is about Case-sensitive inconsistencies.
I made a bilingual file which contains only one word and source is “instgram” target is “Instgram”

I checked the Case-sensitive inconsistencies box and Xbench will not report an error.

The QA settings and result.

If I understand you correctly, Xbench is not reporting a term that should be translated in a specific way.
I would recommend you to do the following:

  1. At the Search tab, run the following search:
    Source term: "Instagram"
    Target term: -"Instagram"
    Case-sensitive checkbox enabled
    Search mode: Simple
  2. Press Ctrl+P to run a PowerSearch.
  3. Go to View > Show Search Options if you don’t see the search options toolbar.
  4. Click the link Add Last Search to Checklist… link at the right of the search options toolbar.

When running QA, entries added to that checklist will list segments with those mismatches.

Sorry that I didn’t describe my question clearly.
What I mean is that how can we check word case inconsistency between source and target.
For example, the letters of “instagram” in the source are all lowercase, but the first letter of “Insatgram” in the target is capitalized.
I thought Xbench would report such inconsistency, but in fact, it will not (as you can see in the pictures above).

You can check this issue in two ways:

  1. Create a tab-delimited text file to add source and target terms. Then, add that file to your Xbench project as Key Terms. When running QA, enable the Case-sensitive Key Terms checkbox.
  2. Create a checklist to check case-sensitive terms as in my previous post.

I highly recommend you the following videos:

OK, it’s a nice solution.
But can it be a feature built into Xbench?
Because we want it to be a general check (check case inconsistency), not limited to certain key terms.

It would produce too many false positives with source languages as German, which capitalize all nouns.

Even English as source language may have many false positives, as sometimes common names are capitalized, too (as a way to highlight them).

That said you could use Regex and Powerseach in a checklist item to catch some:

  • Source: " ([A-Z][a-z]+)=1"

  • Target: -@1

  • Case sensitive: Enabled

  • Regex: Enabled

  • Powersearch: Enabled

What the above search does is locate a capitalized word after a blank space in source and check if the capitalized word does not appear in target.