Xbench Chrome extensions stopped working

Dear Xbench support,

I am currently using Chrome Version 65.0.3325.146 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit) and Xbench 3.0 Build 1401 64-Bit.

Both Xbench plug-ins for Google Translator Toolkit stopped working. What should I do? Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I urgently need the plug-ins to work. Thank you very much in advance.

Best,
Doreen

With Chrome Version 65.0.3325.146 released late this week, the download method used by the Xbench Chrome Extensions has stopped working (it does not download anything).

To solve the issue, we have just updated the Xbench Chrome Extensions to use a different method to download files for QA.

However, the new download method requires that you accept an additional permission: Manage your downloads.

Therefore, next time the Chrome extensions are autoupdated, you will notice an orange warning saying that the extension has been disabled and that you need to accept the additional permission to re-enable the extension.

Once you accept the new permission the Chrome extensions will continue working as usual.

Hi there,

I’m experiencing the same issue with GTT files. I accepted permissions but I work on incognito mode, and it seems that this permissions haven’t been applied in this mode.

Also, please note the GTT-specific extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/apsic-xbench-extension-fo/nhadbgflnognogbicnbeepnbpehlocgc) doesn’t work in incognito mode either. This is not a new issue, it has always been there since I have the license.

Please help!

@lachulapa, it seems that Google’s stricter sandboxing for incognito mode prevents the new download method from working in incognito mode.

It is possible that it is something wired into Chrome itself (not everything works in incognito).

We will try to see if we can come up with some solution for incognito mode support.

Thanks for your answer. I’d really appreciate that you’d fix this bug soon, since I need to work on incognito mode for this client and I bought the license specifically for these projects :frowning:

Probably incognito mode is working as designed when it prevents extensions from using the downloads permission. It is possible that it is not a Chrome bug, but a Chrome feature.

To further understand your use case, why do you need to work in incognito mode? Incognito mode is especially unfriendly with extensions.

If the only reason to work in incognito mode is to two have two different Google logins in Chrome, there is a better way via the creation of Person profiles.

With person profiles, the only thing to keep in mind is that only one of the persons will be able to use Edit Segment from Xbench.